Friday, December 10, 2010

A Comedy of Errors...

This week has been like no other. It seems like every time I turn around, something else is wrong. But, on the positive side, we have burned up a lot, I mean a LOT of bad karma, so its got to get better. Right?

Right...as I'm typing this I can hear Ryan trying in vain to get the van out of the driveway. But from the sound of it, he's just burning up the tires. I'll get to that in a moment.

MONDAY: On Monday Emily decided she wanted to regress to babyhood. I'm really not sure what is going on; its bizarre to say the least. She has been wearing underwear during the day with a pretty good success rate, but she peed her pants 4 times and took a number 2 to boot. The kicker was each accident happened within 10 minutes of me putting her on the potty! Even stranger, she decided she wasn't going to drink from a cup, and has been asking for bottles. Finally I gave in on Thursday because she was getting dehydrated. Honestly, I don't know what to make of it.

TUESDAY: I woke up with a raging fever on Tuesday morning. I don't know how high my fever got in the middle of the night, but I do remember floating over my body at one point. So my day wasn't great, but the worst part about it was lying there while Ryan ran around getting everyone ready for school. Mornings are pretty hectic since the girls go to separate schools. I usually get Emily ready for the bus, while Ryan gets Nora ready, and then he drives her to school. Somehow, though the miracle of coffee, he managed to get Nora to school early so he could be back here to put Emily on the bus. At that point he ran to work, but was on call in case I got worse. Home at noon, he was, to get Emily off the bus. Back to work, then back here again at 2pm with Nora. Then of course he had to get dinner ready after work (ok actually he drove to Burger King to get chicken fingers) because I was still weak to stand. So it was bad day, but Ryan racked up major brownie points in my eyes.

WEDNESDAY: All was going well on Wednesday! Woke up feeling much better. There wasn't much food in the house, so I decided to do a little light grocery shopping after school. The trip to Walmart was like any other until it was time to go. I couldn't get the van to move further than an inch or two at a time. Something went pop! and it was like the wheels broke. UGH. Keep in mind I was feverish less than 24 hours prior, and I've got two tired kids with me. After debating what to do, I called on Tim and Rachel, who came to our rescue. At first we thought perhaps it just needed transmission fluid, which had been seen on the driveway this week. Long story short; tried that to no avail. Tranny fluid doesn't fix a bad bearing. Anyways, Tim drove us home, and we've started car shopping online. The plan is to buy a new to us vehicle ASAP...maybe tomorrow.

THURSDAY: Over the past week I've noticed some changes in a cyst I've had for several years. Its always been small, round, and without change. No problem! Nothing to worry about. Well, to my surprise, the damn thing burst. I felt a pop, the bump was gone, and then there was pain. I don't know if you've ever had this experience before, and I hope you don't. Did I mention pain? I'm swollen, and am worried that it might actually be infected. (It is getting bigger, redder, and ouchier with each passing hour). If I can get the van to move I will have the doctor check it out tomorrow prior to purchasing a car. Because I didn't have enough lined up this week.

FRIDAY: Driving the van to work...a joke. Getting Emily to school and realizing she didn't have shoes, her water cup, or nap blankets...a joke. Having to show movies instead of lecturing because I can't stand for long periods of time due to cyst...a joke. Nora barfing her head off like never before in her life...no joke. Apparently the health department contacted the schools today to alert everyone that a stomach flu is going around. Guess who got it first?

BTW Ryan came back inside. The van is stuck in the driveway. We will have to wait for tomorrow when the temperature rises to see if we can move it again. We have to move it, I need to get to the doctor and we need to trade that lemon in before the real cold hits. Oh geez. Coffee can't fix this one.

I try not to be a complainer, but had to get this off my chest!!! To end this on a positive note, because you never know what's gonna happen next, I'd like to share some words that keep me going during weeks like this:

Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
-- Buddha

Well, I'm not dead yet! And I always learn a lot from my girls. Even through her pain and fever, even with her head in the toilet, Nora was singing the Sponge Bob theme song till she passed out. If that's not a lesson in keeping spirits up, I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment