Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Potty Training Blues

I try really really hard to be as laid back as an over-worked, over-caffeinated mom of two kids can be. Life isn't about being serious. If you're not having fun you're not doing it right.

But I have to be honest. I am NOT having fun when it comes to potty training. In fact, its been the complete opposite. I've been reduced to tears over the past few weeks as the diapers and the wet sheets and the poo-poo on the floor continues to pile up. Literally. I'm at the end of my rope, I'm down to the last resort, and if it doesn't work I really don't know what to do.

Emily began to show an aversion to wet diapers prior to her second birthday. She was probably 19 or 20 months old when she started chucking her poop diapers onto the hallway floor. At first I read this as a good sign, that she would be potty trained by her second birthday. I pulled out the training potty, the book that has a sound-effect flush button, and some high expectations. Those of you that follow this blog know none of this worked.

Emily understands that dirty diapers are yucky, and so she simply takes them off. Its worked in the past, why change the routine? At one point in the year I started dumping the poop out of the diaper into the toilet to illustrate where it actually goes. This resulted in a VERY GROSS month long period in which Emily would also dump the diaper into the toilet. It was gross because if she missed, she scooped them up with her hands. How we didn't have any trips to the hospital for E coli poisoning ins anyone's guess.

I kept the potty out but didn't push the issue, following the old adage that they'll go when they're ready. Well an entire year has passed and I'm still cleaning accidents. I decided a few weeks ago to try the potty training in one day method, which involves allowing the child to run around in the yard in nothing but a T-shirt for the entire day. Mom feeds the child lots of salty snacks and juice to really get things flowing. The child is supposed to have an accident or two, freak out, and then use the potty which is conveniently located near the juice and snacks.

The plan sounded perfect, and all was in order to proceed, when the torrential rains and 60 mph winds rolled in. Not a problem, I thought. I'll simply keep her in the kitchen. She can't possibly get into that much trouble. I got her to sit on the potty many many times, but had no luck. I turned around to pour a cup of coffee when she had the first accident. I was making peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches when she had the second accident. She pooped on the floor behind my back when I was cleaning up mess number two. And then I ran out of paper towels, and it was only 11:30 am. UGH.

That was a few weeks ago. We are going to try again this weekend. I figure our schedule is working for the most part, so maybe potty training will too. I have a few things going for me that I didn't have last time. (1) The weather is looking good (2) Ryan is going to be home to take care of Nora and make all of the food so I will not need to turn my back from Emily (3) I have stocked up on paper towels and (4) Per Shelly and Sue's advice, I am going to make a picture book of how and when to use the potty with photos from our home.

Point number four seems really gross to me. I will have to invest in a color ink cartridge because I will die at my own hand before I have a picture of a used toilet bowl printed at Walgreens. However, PECS has worked in the past to teach her words, so there is no reason to think it won't work in this instance. Oh my goodness, the things we must do for our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment