Saturday, January 2, 2010

Top Five Momma Moments of 2009

Welcome to 2010 dear readers! Although I haven't found a moment yet to update you all on our family Christmas, I thought it would be appropriate to look back on 2009 and look forward to 2010 at this point in time. I spent New Year's Eve and most of yesterday reflecting on where we've been as a family and where we're headed, marveling at the changes we've seen in the past year, and remembering to be grateful for all those people that have made our blessed life and happy family possible. If you are reading this, this means you! Thank you thank you thank you.

In order to keep this post from getting overly emotional or just way to long, I now present: The Top 5 Momma Moments of 2009

5. Finding a Steve shirt to wear to Emily's Blue's Clues Birthday Party: Actually, I was so pleased with the way Emily's entire party turned out. But that shirt was like the icing on the cake. We had a tent in the yard, and all of our family and friends gathered there and under the tree. Emily had a great time playing Blue's Clues and scribbling in her handy-dandy notebook. Nora was a jelly-belly, which was upsetting at the time but hilarious in retrospect. (Remember the foot stomping, crayon throwing, screaming tantrum over the third clue? Priceless). One of the best birthday parties yet.

4. Nora and Emily helping me in the garden: It wasn't my intention to have a big garden this year, but we had so much dirt left over from digging holes for the fence posts that we ended up with a number of raised beds. In order to attract bugs to the veggie garden, we needed perennials of course, and it got out of hand from there. But the kids LOVED working in the yard! We got dirty, digging and pulling weeds and planting seeds. They had a set of sand toys that turned into dirt toys, and everyday that the sun shone, we spent in the yard. We also enjoyed the fruit of our work, literally, as we ate the raspberries and tomatoes that we grew.

3. Rachel telling us that she was pregnant: This was a big moment for Rachel, and she had it planned out how she was going to tell us at her 30th birthday dinner I made for her. But in her excitement she let her big news slip over the phone. Then, of course, she felt terrible, because she's pregnant and that's what pregnant hormones do to you! So, in order to tell Ryan, she took Nora aside and whispered into Nora's ear. Nora then came running into the kitchen, yelling out, "Auntie Rachel has a baby in her belly!!!!" Ryan stopped dead in his tracks, and then the hugs and tears and happy feeling spread like wildfire. HOORAY!

2. Christmas Eve and Morning 2009: Won't go into too much detail, as this will be the next post. But it was such a happy day for all of us. Nora was so excited about Santa coming she was ready to burst, we lit a fire and had such a nice time together, and the excitement that ensued after Santa came was enough to make my heart just burst out of its chest. I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Drum roll please...and the number one momma moment of 2009 was

Nora calling 911 because she thought I was lost.

This was the incident that inspired this blog, although I never got around to blogging this story. Early in the month of May, an officer went to Nora's school and taught the kids how to dial 911 if there was ever an emergency. Nora obviously learned the lesson well. During her first week of summer vacation, I forgot to tell her I was going to hop into the shower. I usually tell her where I'm going to be, just in case she needs something.

Anyways, I was in the old shower in the basement, when I heard the dog barking like crazy. Lacey is not an excitable dog, so I knew something wasn't right. I turned off the water, grabbed a towel, and opened the door. All I could hear was Nora sobbing. I ran to her; she was standing at the top of the stairs. She looked at me, sobbing, "I couldn't find you! I couldn't find you!"

"But honey," I said, "I'm right here". She kept crying, and the dog kept barking. Through her tears I heard, "I called the police". WHAT??? Nora, you called the police? Dripping wet and in nothing but an itsy bitsy towel, I went to the front door. There, in the bushes, was one cop about to look in through the front windows. Another officer was headed towards the back. I opened the door...and yes I was still dripping wet and in a towel.

The nice officers (nice in every way ladies) came in and talked to Nora. I suppose they wanted to make sure she wasn't being beat or anything. Then they explained the proper way to use 911, all the while I'm still in my towel. I haven't yet mentioned the fact that I was also MORTIFIED. Utterly and completely. I wanted to die. I hadn't even gotten to shaving my legs and there I was. I am quite sure those cops had a great laugh at our expense. In retrospect it is hilarious, and most deserving of the number one most memorable moment of 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment