Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Emily's First Day of School

I am jumping the gun here with this post. I haven't written yet about Emily's last day of speech and OT, but that was really kinda depressing and her first day of school really helped beat the blues around here. So on to our new adventure first...

In true Momma fashion, the story of Emily's first day of school starts with our misadventures the night before. In my rush to get us back from Grandma's house so Emily could have a good night's sleep, I inadvertently left the house key with Grandma. Yes, we were locked out of the house. So, at 8:30 at night, I was on the phone trying to find someone with a spare key to let us inside. Emily and her Dad played bouncy ball in the drive, while Nora and Lacey looked at me with eyes that said, "Oh my God woman I need to go to BED". Eventually we did get in (thanks Rach) but the kids weren't in bed until well after 9 pm. Whoops.

The morning started off on the same note. Late to bed = no one was up at 7:30. And the bus comes at 8:30, so I had to rouse the troops. My girls do not like to be woken up, and it took several attempts to get Emily out of bed. I explained to her she was going to school just like Blue, and she just looked at me. I showed her pictures of Mrs. Mack, and she just looked at me. I got her dressed, hair combed, back-pack in place, and guess what she did.

She didn't seem to get excited until we went out the front door and waited for the bus. We have never, as a family, stood in front of the house before and Emily thought that was really funny. We waited and waited, and when she began to get bored, the school bus turned onto our street. Now those of you that know Emily know she loves all kinds of vehicles, cars and trucks and trains and school buses. She'd never seen a school bus up close, so you can imagine how excited she was when it turned into our driveway! I think she was actually shocked when the door opened up and we put her inside. She had this huge smile on her face, and her eyes were like saucers. I wish I knew what she was thinking at that moment! I'm sure it was the ride of her life.

What she was feeling was probably the opposite of what I was feeling. As the bus pulled away and drove off, the tears welled up in my eyes. I looked down at Nora, who was also crying but for different reasons. And then there was Ryan, who looked at us like we were nuts. So much for my mantra of not taking anything too seriously! I really cried. And in trying to figure out why I was crying, I could only determine that I really was nuts, considering all I had done to get her in school in the first place. As Emily would say, "Sill-wee Mommy".

Emily came home at noon, and she was full of things to say. I don't know exactly what it was she was saying, but among all of the babble was one word that got repeated again and again, and that was "school bus". I could be wrong, but I think I have another star student on my hands. I also had a tired student. Emily napped for 3 hours and went to bed an hour early.

Emily's 1st Day of School 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment